Friday, June 18, 2010

Chewy Coconut Cookies

So sorry, I totally forgot to take pictures of these! They really weren't good looking though because my baking soda needs to be changed (aka these cookies came REALLY flat and spread like crazy--but it's such a pain because I have so much baking soda left in that stupid box it seems like such a waste to buy anymore. And switch it every month, no less.) I even tried refrigerating them as well, but with no luck. Regardless of how they looked, they were really quite good and chewy as described. I called my paper thin cookies Lace cookies, lol, and tried to make up for its flatness. Oh well! I made these for the my Relay for Life team as a fundraiser so hopefully things will go well and the appearance won't be too off-putting. Originally, I was going to not toast the coconut (i was getting lazy from all the baking I was doing that day) but honestly, what a big difference it made to toast it. Since the recipe didn't specify, I just used the sugary kind of coconut flakes, but I'm sure the natural, unsweetened kind would work as well. Besides the taste, the smell of toasted coconut wafting through the kitchen is reward enough to do it! In case you don't know how, please scroll down for quick toasting instructions, it's super easy and like I said, completely worth it. I love these as a great substitute for chocolate desserts. Blasphemous as it may sound, not everyone is a chocoholic like me, and tragically, some people are quite allergic to it as well. They are quite oily, however. They're definitely not diet food. Maybe adding more flour or using less butter would help with that, but it's so hard to tell with adjustments in baking since everything is so precise. Hope you enjoy these as much as I do! 4.5 out of 5 stars/the flatness and oiliness were turn offs, but other than that, GREAT! _________________________ Toasted Coconut Instructions: Using a baking sheet (the flat one with edges on all sides) covered with aluminum foil, spread a thin layer of coconut flakes evenly over the pan and toast for 350F degrees for 7-10 minutes until the desired level of golden brown is reached. Let cool before using.

_________________________

Below from here.

Yields around 2 dozen cookies.

Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 10 Min
Ready In: 50 Min


Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in the flour mixture, then mix in the coconut. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
  3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly toasted. Cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment