Saturday, May 8, 2010

Super-Soft Snickerdoodles

I was so disappointed with this recipe I didn't even bother taking pictures of my cookies. I think this "adventure" failed on several points. First of all, I tried to be sneaky in a sense and tried to substitute a third of the flour with whole wheat flour. But the thing is, whole wheat flour is just different, it usually requires more liquids and well, these cookies came out dry. I think I should have fully melted my butter rather than mostly melted it. It made a lumpier batter rather than a smooth batter. Then there's the matter of where I tried to use my convection oven again, and if you'll notice, this recipe only takes 7 minutes to bake. 7! So, needless to say, I didn't know when they would be done with my convection oven because using that makes everything go faster. Annoyingly so, my cookies on two separate racks cooked unevenly, regardless of the fact that I used my convection oven and so I burned the ones on the bottom rack while the top were just slightly overdone. They came out not very sweet (don't ask me how the whole wheat flour, use of convection oven, and other such factors contributed to that one cuz im stumped), really soft (i realized AFTER i made these that i like my snickerdoodles crispy, good timing I know), and just overall not good. I didn't even bother serving them to my small group for whom I made them because I was like ugh. Instead, I sent them off with my mom to my mom's work where they will basically devour almost anything and got a call from my mom the next day about how she and her coworkers loved it because it wasn't so sweet and it went great with her coffee.

Go figure.

Needless to say, I was NOT impressed with this recipe and will NOT be making it again. And then, you gotta think...whoever heard of a snickerdoodle recipe with no cream of tartar? Bleh.

No picture, no good!

2.5 out of 5 stars. No thank you, and never again.

_______________________________

Recipe from here.

Super Soft Snickerdoodle Cookies
makes about 3 dozen cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 teaspon vanilla extract


For the cinnamon sugar:
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Heat the oven to 425°F. Gently melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave and let it cool while you mix the dry ingredients. Stir together the sugars, flour, spices, baking soda, and salt. Whisk the eggs into the cooled butter and add the vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring just until it comes together.

In a soup plate or shallow bowl, mix together the white sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Form small 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and roll them in the cinnamon sugar. Place them on an unlined, ungreased baking sheet and flatten slightly. Bake for 7 minutes then remove and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.

The dough can be refrigerated for up to 5 days, well-wrapped. It can also be frozen in logs.

No comments:

Post a Comment