Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Glazed Lemon Cookies (from Gale Gland)

Today was a bad day. Why was it a bad day? I'll tell you why. I made these and they turned out TERRIBLY. You remember my crappy Momofuku kitchen sink cookies? These were much worse. It wasn't that they tasted bad, or were burned beyond belief. I have no idea what happened. Well, that's wrong. I know I put in too much butter, but I got lazy. So, yes, I added too much butter, but then that doesn't explain why some cookies (a very few) baked out okay, and why some died like a puddle of mud...brown puddle of mud. SIGH.

To add insult to injury, I used up the last of my powdered sugar on the glaze and then had to throw away half the glaze, if not more, because I threw away half of my cookies if not more cuz they were CRAPPY.

I ain't gonna take pictures of my crap, so no pictures for you today. sorry.

So yes, if you were wondering--it's true. You really need to follow directions and measurements in baking because it is a science, boys and girls. Don't try to be ridiculous like me and go all lone soldier.

If you make these right, they taste quite good: 4.5/5 stars. They have a shortbread type consistency.

I think...

_________________________________

Glazed Lemon Cookies

3/4 c unsalted butter @ room temp.
1 c sugar
2 tbsp grated lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 c + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

preheat convection oven to 325 (conventional to 350) and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper

in mixer w/ paddle attachment or electric hand mixer (its much easier with these) beat butter and sugar on low speed till smooth (don't incorporate air...just blend)

add lemon zest and juice, continue to mix on low until incorporated

add flour, baking powder, and salt, mix on low for 1-2 minutes

check the dough by squeezing some in your hands - it should be crumbly but still form a ball; do not overbeat

scoop dough onto baking sheets with a 1 tsp measuring spoon (mounded spoonful)...they should look like little balls of dough, but don't pat the dough into shape with your hands because they'll look unnaturally smooth after baking

bake until edges turn a light golden brown (~8 minutes) ...don't overbake and dry out cookies by letting them go golden brown all over

transfer cookies to rack and let cool, then glaze (optional)

glaze: 3 tbsp lemon juice + 2 c confectioners' sugar (blend until smooth)

dip tops of cookies into glaze and let cool/dry

i like to fill a pastry bag (or ziploc with corner cut off) with the glaze and drizzle glaze over cookies instead of dipping

No comments:

Post a Comment