Monday, April 19, 2010

Coffee Cake Loaf

And we're back! Alright, I finally uploaded some pictures from the past few weeks of baking, so get ready. Yes, miracles do happen.

A recipe with, ironically enough, no coffee in the ingredients. :)


This cake loaf was actually made a few weeks ago so of course now I don't remember what the heck I was listening to when I made it. So the funny thing about this recipe is it's really for cupcakes...jumbo cupcakes. But it didn't work out when I made it. I have these blue silicone muffin-y type "tins" (yea, I know, silicon does not equal tin, hence the quotes), and my mix just didn't go well into them and it started rising and getting too full, so I didn't want to continue baking them. Anyway, the point of that really long sentence was to say that I turned it into a coffee cake loaf. The reviews of this recipe, which can be found on the linked page, were correct---the amount of topping you make for these cupcakes is really an absurdly large amount. In fact, I mixed it a great deal of the topping before even putting it on top of the loaf because there was just too much. But you know what? It turned out great that way. I did a bit actually mixed into the dough and a bit folded into the dough. That way, there were some swirl-ish type of things within the loaf when you cut it as well as a nice overall cinnamon flavor. :D

I used light sour cream, but I have a desire to remake this and use low fat greek yogurt instead. It's better for you, or so they say. If you're down for that experiment, I love Fage Yogurt which can be found at your local Trader Joe's or Fresh 'n Easy. I also completely left out the confectioner's sugar for the dusting. It really didn't need it. The mix produced enough dough to fill my jumbo loaf pan, which is saying a lot. It baked for around 50 minutes on the usual baking setting not the convection oven setting. What came out smelled and tasted quite delicious. This could easily be a breakfast on the go type of thing (not particularly healthy, but who's counting?), or an after dinner snack heated up in the microwave with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...oh, I'm salivating already. Oh, right, and a slice with coffee. Enjoy!



Picture of the loaf right after it came out of the oven...oh yes. :)


And another picture after I sliced it up and put it in this nifty plastic container that used to hold Vegetable Pork Buns, lol!! I assure you, I made these, they were not purchased from the local store, despite their suspect container.

4 out of 5 stars!
_______________________

Below from here.


  • FOR STREUSEL
  • 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • FOR MUFFINS
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pans
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Directions

  1. Prepare streusel: In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
  2. Prepare muffins: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two jumbo 6-cup muffin pans. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
  3. Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, sour cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture just until combined.
  4. Divide half the batter among muffin cups; top with half the streusel. Cover with remaining batter; top with remaining streusel. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea there was no coffee in coffee cake! Disappointed, but it still looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete