Thursday, February 11, 2010

Low Fat Banana Bread

Is there such a thing?? Why yes, there is! And it's delicious, and oh so moist and wonderful. And I ate it all. Just kidding. I wanted to, lemme tell ya. I'm still eating brownie from yesterday, good grief that stuff in decadent.

As I am just starting this blog, I don't have any pictures to put up. It's still too much a hassle to upload pictures and then resize and etc, so screw it. You get the pictures from the websites I take my recipes from, and...yea. Besides, there are so few readers, eh--maybe one day.

This blog is the product of a recent graphic design grad looking for a job in this terrible economic climate. Whomever said that unemployment equates to tons of time on his hands was wrong. There are now so many things I want to do, books I want to read, recipes I want to try. Bringing us full circle back on topic of the here and now. Low Fat Banana Bread.

Tips: I feel like less sugar can be used because its already quite sweet from the recipe. I used all apple sauce (approx half a cup, just one snack container of the no sugar added Mott's natural applesauce) and completely cut out the butter. This makes the batter more moist, so I added just a tad more flour/oats and baked it longer. I made these into psuedo-muffins by cooking them in silicone cupcake trays and the bake time would probably equate to around 40 minutes. You can get away with filling each well just a few cms short of full. I never realized til many trial and errors later that banana bread needs to be that rich brown color (but not burnt...that's black). Let them rest for a bit because you don't want them mushy. The toothpick test doesn't work on banana bread because it should come out clean about half way thru cooking. I also added a tsp of cinnamon to it too, because i like the extra dimension of flavor it provides. That's up to you, of course. Happy Baking!


********

Below taken here:

Low-Fat Banana Bread Recipe

When I substituted some of the butter with applesauce in a previous recipe, it actually made the bread more moist. I put one loaf in the freezer, but had to take it out within 24 hours because the first was devoured!
by SJG3483

55 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 12 -16 , 2 loaves

  1. Mash bananas in a bowl.
  2. Add all other ingredients and mix well.
  3. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans (or you can pour it all into one, but it rises enough that you can split it in half).
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment